Sunday, March 8, 2009

Storyboardin'

I used to do storyboards a while back when I lived in Halifax. A fantastic studio took a risk and allowed me to try my hand at it, and I fell in love with the creativity and power.... okay mostly the power...but still.

As my career progressed I switched over to the sometimes faster 3D animatic for games, and stopped drawing with a pencil as much. Now my drawing hand is flabby and pasty and sits on the couch eating Cheetos and drinking Pepsi Max (cause it's healthier than regular Pepsi).

So, to combat the lethargy I had developed, I signed up for a storyboarding course at Schoolism

The course is taught by Kris Pearn, who is head of story at Sony and worked on some great Canadian TV as well as "Surf's Up", "Open Season" and the currently in production "Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs". Oddly enough he also did boards for a few shows I worked on when I first started working in TV....but I digress.

The best part of the course is I get to board in whatever style I want. The games I've been working on have been primarily photoreal(ish), so its a great opportunity to draw cartoony, like I did when I first started out.

Anyway....here some of the stuff I've done so far.


The project was 2 characters argue over an egg...and then a 3rd character is added causing the line of action to be redrawn, without losing the audience.

1 comment:

  1. Once again, you prove to be the superior Greg! Nice work!

    ReplyDelete